Monday, June 21, 2010

To be, or not to be

That is the question! A question that has been starting to be present in my thoughts at all times. Well, not that question specifically. It was just a clever post title. Really, I'm debating my involvement in drama club. SHOCKING, I know. I haven't shared this thought with anyone yet, so what better place to vent about it then my blog?

Now, the main reason I'm considering not auditioning for one or both of the shows is because of the time commitment involved in drama club. There was a time, in 8th grade, that I seriously wanted to sing and act on Broadway. Of course, that would still be an amazing thing to be able to do. But let's get real; it would be extremely difficult to be cast in a Broadway show, and more importantly, I want to have a family some day. Being an actress is not exactly the job I want when I'm raising kids, and I wouldn't want to live in New York. And once I started high school, I realized something that I couldn't in middle school; that my love for music and my love for theatre are two completely different things. In middle school, they were kind of grouped together. Now I know that music is the more important one, the thing I will never let go of. Something I might really want to pursue in college. I still love theatre, I really do; but it's just something I love to do for fun now. It's not necessarily something I need in my life.

This all relates to the time commitment issue in the way that I don't know if I want to spend SO much time on something that's more of a hobby. I also can't afford to do badly in school just because I don't have a lot of time to do my homework. If I didn't do drama club, I could do so much better on homework and papers and tests, I could look in to other clubs that I can’t do with rehearsal every day after school until 5:00, and I could focus more on my endeavors in music. I also get extremely stressed out during the school year, sometimes to the point of me breaking down crying. I don’t know if I can explain to you just how much more time I would have without drama club. It is a ridiculous amount of time. I can do homework, exercise, watch TV, take a nap, and still have a few hours left before it’s time to hit the hay. It is truly wonderful. And if I were to quit drama, I would still stay involved through publicity; a fun branch of drama club that only meets once a week, and I have a lot of close friends who do it.

That’s another thing about drama; the friendships. I certainly do have friends in drama, and I do have a great time; I don’t want you to worry about that. But unlike some people in drama, drama club is not my life. My best friends are not involved in drama (like I said, some are in publicity, but my group of close girlfriends are diverse; we have athletes, musicians, brains, etc.) and I spend my free time with them, not the drama kids. This sometimes makes me feel disconnected to the drama club kids.

I say all this, but it would be extremely hard for me to quit drama. I really do love it, and I have great experiences with the shows and people involved. I’m also worried about becoming lazy; at least drama keeps me busy, which is better than having nothing to do. And although music is my passion, I honestly adore being on stage, getting in costume, dancing in character, creeping backstage. All of it.

So what’s a girl to do?

2 comments:

  1. Sorry for the late comment- my computer apparently screwed up and didn't post the first one. I didn't notice until now! Oops. :/
    Here it is:
    I actually think it would be a wise decision to quit drama. It would give you plenty of time to rest up for college and improve your grades (only if they need improvement.) You could also devote more time to singing, which would be good for your voice and your possible future singing career. However, if you feel you would rather go into musical THEATRE, then you should probably stay in the program. It's good to get as much experience as possible. But only if that's the career path you want to follow. Otherwise, I think it would be nice to take a much-needed break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly-girl:

    I think you are wise beyond your years to be considering this question. It isn't easy to give up something you like even when you know it's best for you. If there were no downside to continuing the hobby, I would say Go For It! But, I think there is a great potential for damage to your voice as well as the obvious time crunch you face when involved so deeply in a show. I think that you have identified a great compromise by doing publicity; this way you can feel a part of the show, without all the negatives. High school offers a full buffet of activities, but up to now you have been pretty focused on only one dish. Maybe you can spend the next 2 years sampling many different items. That may make for a more well-rounded college application too! Whatever choice you make, I know you will choose wisely and well! Love you sweetie!!

    ReplyDelete